As we all know, ransomware has quickly emerged as a very dangerous cyberthreat facing organizations worldwide and it has reached a new level of maturity in the past 12 months. Infection numbers are trending upwards, with the number of new ransomware families discovered annually reaching an all-time high in 2015.
According to Symantec's Ransomware and Businesses Report 2016, organizations need to be fully aware of the threat posed by ransomware and use a multilayered security approach to minimize the chance of infection. Ransomware gangs continue to refine their tactics, therefore organizations must continue to review and improve their security in the face of this rapidly evolving threat.
Five Key Facts:
- The United States was most affected by ransomware with 31% of global infections
- The top ten countries affected by Ransomware are: US, UK, Germany, Canada, Australia, Japan, Belgium, India, Italy and the Netherlands
- Business sectors hit the hardest:
- The Services sector 38%
- Manufacturing 17 %
- Finance, Insurance & Real Estate 10 %
- Public Administration 10%
- 43% of ransomware victims were organizations
- The average ransom demand is now more than 2x what it was in 2015 - from $294 up to $679
The ransomware landscape is constantly shifting, with new families appearing every month and older ransomware families disappearing. With SECDO, our solution detects, blocks and remediates the latest ransomware threats. With cutting-edge deception technology, SECDO tricks ransomware into revealing itself, then freezes the ransomware before files are encrypted. Using the SECDO platform, you can then investigate and remediate the threat both on the affected endpoint, and across the entire organization. Sign up today for a private demo and see our anti-ransomware solution in action.